You might have heard about the famous licorice root somewhere. Or everywhere. Well, what’s the hype about it (in skincare)? Let’s quickly run through five of its primary benefits for the skin:
1. Licorice is very effective for brightening the skin
2. It is also effective against hyperpigmentation and fading of dark spots
3. It evens out the skin tone
4. It is a powerful antioxidant and hence may help to reverse damage caused to the skin by environmental stressors
5. It is skin-soothing and provides relief from inflammation and irritation
If you suffer from acne; hyperpigmentation; or even skin disease such as rosacea, psoriasis, eczema, etc. a product containing an extract of the licorice root would be able to considerably help, provided you’re consistent with its usage. And it is definitely a holy grail for sensitive skin. At Dermitecture, we try to incorporate this wonder ingredient in the majority of our formulae. And don’t worry – just because you’ve used one product that contains it doesn’t mean you can’t use another with it. You absolutely can! In some ways, it even helps to counter the undesired effects of ingredients such as acids that might lead to skin irritation, purging, etc. No wonder so many of our customers have gotten along with our salicylic and lactic acid serums so well – licorice was silently playing its hero part within!